Tuesday 5 August 2014

New Games Room finished.


The games room is now finished. Old wall knocked down and a new wall built further back to allow for a larger table, 10 x 5 instead of 7 x 5 feet. Also access all the way around the table, where as before one end was fixed to the wall. Extra lights have been fitted and 40ft of backdrop fitted all the way around the room.



 
Sidney, my sixteen year old son was keen to give me a helping hand.




I had to do a few repairs on the existing table surface.
 



 
 
The backdrop 'sky paper' is 15 inches deep so I used 8ft x 4ft hardboard cut into 3 x 16 inch lengths and fixed this to the wall using 'no nails' apart from where I had to do a double bend to cover the ugly electric meter and to still have access to the socket in the corner of the garage. For this corner I had to screw the board into some batons, which unfortunately show the shape of the screw heads through the sky paper, even though they were countersunk and filled.
As you can see, I didn't want any corners in the backdrop but used bends for a more natural look.    

 
 
 









With the hard board being an inch wider than the sky paper it give me a little play with lining the paper up. I just had to paint the edge white to blend in with the wall. Unfortunately there are a few creases in the paper as it was a bugger to put up and was very unforgiving.

I also built some seating and extra storage along the new wall.



Also two layers of storage under the table.


The table extension blended in to match the original table.







 
I have toned the green down on the table as I want to get away from that look and plan to give the surface a lot more varied look. It is a work in progress, as I will be adding some Woodland Scenics burnt and winter grass, along with some other bits and pieces.

     Here you can see the length of the table with a 28mm scale Armoured car at the far end and then taking a closer picture to see what kind of effect the table surface and backdrop have. The back drop is very subtle but I think this is not a bad thing as you don't want the eye to be drawn away from the actual subject you are photographing.


 
Before, I was also limited to the angle that I was facing for taking pictures of figures on my table but with the backdrop now all the way around and also covering the electric meter, it is much better.


And to finish, I have tried a couple of pictures with hills and tree's against the backdrop. Hope this has been of some use for anyone attempting to update their own games room.


A few of you have asked and I forgot to mention where I purchased the sky paper from.
http://www.art-printers.com/backscenes%20sky.htm
I chose the 'overcast sky' but it is very subtle, so if you want a few more clouds then go for the 'summer sky'. It comes in 5ft lengths and there are four different sections that are continuous to give you 20ft of sky. 15 inches in height and you can pay a little extra to have the sticky back that you peel off and stick rather than using glue/paste. I chose this and although none messy, you have to get it right first time as it is not very forgiving.
The product is excellent value and works out about £1 a foot and John at art printers is very helpful and will give help and advice with this. 

   

36 comments:

  1. It looks just wonderful!! everything is blending in great! Where did you get that "sky paper" from please?

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher.
      Sky Paper from http://www.art-printers.com/backscenes%20sky.htm

      Delete
    2. Details about sky paper now added to bottom of main page.

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much Pat! I've been looking for something like this!

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Very nice job Pat - I was going to ask about the sky coloured paper as well. Very smart and most effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work! The "sky paper" idea is really great. Nothing breaks the mood of photos like a tile wall or boxes showing on the back of great looking terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amount of work!!! But your gaming room is now really nice. I whish you wonderful games in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That just looks incredible! The effort you've put in to the the backdrop running round it just takes the table and room to a different level. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not tell you how impressed I am by this Pat, tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey! I showed this to my wife and she said NO. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugely impressive; jealous, I am! I love the backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All looks fantastic Pat! The backdrop is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks chaps. Sky Paper from
    http://www.art-printers.com/backscenes%20sky.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing work! I am saving this for when I build my own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent table! That skyline backdrop works great for photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing gaming room/ table. I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is superb, Pat. A 10'x5' table! One day I will have one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. May you have a prosperous and happy life as a gamer in this terrific room!
    Well done Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very jealous! A great gaming room you have here.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good work Pat. nice bit of joinery going on there. Nice idea with the Sky paper and thanks for the link, I'll be checking that out...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That really is something Pat! I'm sure you'll have a great many cracking battles in your new room.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been busy. It looks just the job

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's stunning, Pat.
    My admiration is beyond words. It looks like a perfect place for gaming or taking pictures. Perfectly done, chap!

    Alas, a fridge seems to be missing for long games... ;-)

    Good luck and a lot of joyful hours there.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice- I can smell the sawdust!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing room, Pat, and I'm sure you'll get many years of good use out of it. That 'sky-paper' is wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent! This is the place to be...far from France?
    Very impressive and atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll echo everyone's comments, looks great and a great tip with the sky paper. I've saved your post for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great stuff! What every wargamer dreams of.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great stuff Pat- always inspiring & lots of quality to boot...

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks great. This is also very timely for me as I am investigating best practices for photographing figures and games.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, it looks incredible! What great use of all your available space.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
    Brutal Age Events Schedule

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is very useful information for me. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.