Saturday 4 July 2015

TANKS A LOT (WW2 & Modern Afghanistan)


No posts on this blog for the last three weeks as I have been busy painting 20 x vehicles and I have to say I am glad it is done as I felt like I was never going to get them finished.

Here is a picture of them after being assembled and some of them primed ready for painting.

The vehicles are 28mm and most of them are from Warlord, with a couple from JTFM Enterprises and one from Empress Miniatures. Also there is a Corgi die cast conversion.

A group shot of them painted.


First up is 5 x Warlord plastic Soviet T-34/85's, a resin SU-85 and the die cast Corgi scout car conversion.

I had a T-34 already painted, which you can see in the pictures to make up two troops of three.


  

Then we have 3 x Warlord plastic Cromwell tanks and a resin M10 Wolverine and Achilles Tank Destroyers.


A troop of Cromwell's would also have a Firefly attached for a bit of hitting power against the big German cats.

A picture of my British vehicle collection so far. I still need another Firefly, one each for my Sherman and Cromwell troop. I also need some more recon vehicles and HQ/Support vehicles.

Late War German. 3 x Warlord plastic Stugs and a resin JTFM Stug (JTFM on right in picture). 2 x Warlord plastic Panzer IV's and a JTFM resin Marder II. The Tank commander is the Warlord plastic which comes with the set and the guy with the machine gun is resin and which comes with the JTFM Stug along with more crew and a pile of stowage. I have added extra stowage to all of these vehicles. 


 
Late War German collection so far, again I still need to add to this with a Panther, more recon, HQ and support.

As in the first picture, a group shot of my collection so far, minus my Early War German.

I got the idea of the Corgi Die cast armoured car from Richard Clarke of 'Too Fat Lardies' fame, who converted one for his 8th Army collection. You can pick these up off ebay for about £1 plus postage and they are a good match with the Warlord version as you can see in the pictures. I decided to use mine for the Soviets using a couple of Warlord plastic figures and some extra stowage.

 


 
For my Brits in Modern Afghanistan collection I have added an Empress Miniatures Scimitar to go with my Warrior which you can see in the second picture.



 
And to finish, the usual action shots.
Hope you like.






 



 
 

















 
SOVIETS.





 

25 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff here Pat! Beautiful paintwork and the mud and weathering is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well first off ... dang!!! Very, very nice!!

    Two questions:

    1. What are you using for the mud effects?
    2. What are you using for the brush/foliage camo on the German tanks?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chaps.
      Jay, for the mud effects I use pigments from the following, AK Interactive 'European Earth' and MIG Productions 'Europe Dust' mixed about 50/50.
      For the foliage on the tanks I am using Antenocitis Workshop (www.barrule.com) 'Tri-Colour Camouflage Leaves'. I break off tiny bits of branch from Gaugemaster 'Seafoam Trees', brush on some white glue and then cover in the camo leaves.
      I then just place, rather than glue the camo branches in around the skirts of the tank so that I have the option of removing them if needed and it also helps when rotating the turrent.

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thanks Pat! :-)

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff Pat. The JTFM do make great vehicles. Do you have a preference between the 'new' plastic or the 'old' resin way of producing 1/56th scale vehicles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark and thanks.
      I don't really have a preference, I think it is good to have a variety. The plastics take a little longer to assemble but the detail is very crisp. JTFM comes with loads of extra stowage and crew, the Marder actually had 4 x different crew, 2 x for Early/Mid and 2 x for Late War.

      Delete
  4. You must have a huge table to deploy all that 28mm armour!
    Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, the table is probably not that big for 28mm tanks (10'x5') but the large number of tanks give me plenty of choice for support options. Saying that, I plan on doing a large tank game using 'BIG Chain of Command' but I will be using lots of terrain to block line of site, so a 10 x 5 should be okay.
      Cheers,
      Pat.

      Delete
  5. You must have a huge table to deploy all that 28mm armour!
    Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always wonderful Pat - inspirational painting and the table is always so beautifully laid out mate.

    Sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bloody Hell !!!! you have been busy.
    Fantastic paint job - very inspiring.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again a real pleasure to look at these wonderful pictures Pat, excellent job on the figures, terrain and photo...thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Lord man, that is an incredibly achievement! Absolutely stunning post and jaw dropping good action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously impressive in scale; and individually very nice! Great work :)

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive, Pat! The initial images made me thing 15mm FoW :)! So many AFVs and in large scale, wow! Awesome brushwork and photography as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chapeau! What an awesome collection!
    Wonderful models and a great number of them. I'm really green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! A very impressive exhibition of tank power!! Awesome work on the photography as well!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing work, Great camera skills as well

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look terrific, Pat. Love the action shots!

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome collection Pat! Each one is a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! You've been busy. Really impressive with such individual quality at that quantity. A momentous undertaking that I can imagine must feel awesome now that its done. /Mattias

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great :-)
    Now you could play at the french rules 'chef de Char' . Rules about engagement of tank during ww2
    http://chef-de-char.blogspot.fr/?m=1

    See you.
    Furabienu

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really great job. One question though. I'm considering the conversion of Leman Russ tank of 40K using the body of Empress mini's warrior IFV. Do you think the scale would match? Usually 40K GW models are known to have 28mm, 1/48 scale fitness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't like to say with the scales, you should get an answer if you ask on one of the forums.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.