Sunday 17 July 2016

SETTING THE SCENE part 7. US Armoured Vehicles


Latest batch for 'Setting The Scene' is the American vehicles which I have just finished assembling and painting. This now gives me 15 x vehicles including the knocked out halftrack that I did in a previous post, along with the halftrack that Nick from https://moitereisbuntewelt.blogspot.co.uk/ painted for me.

I have tried to get a reasonable colour match with the vehicle that Nick painted but I don't have an air brush and compressor plus I don't have the skill or time to put the effort in when painting a large batch of vehicles. Nick's Rubicon halftrack is on the right and my Warlord Halftrack is on the left.
 
I have also copied a few ideas from 'John Bond's Wargaming Stuff ' which is an excellent blog
http://iagsmgm.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/stuart-m5a1-tank-and-willys-jeep-28mm.html.
I have drilled holes for small magnets to go into both vehicles and crew so that they can be changed over. I want to be able to use my jeeps for British and Russian as well as American forces, so just need to buy some additional crew. Also I have several crew for one of my tanks, so I can change them over and have them bailing out of a smoking vehicle.

I have placed magnets in blue tack which is useful for holding the figure in place when painting.




These tank crew are from Artizan Designs and painting these up I realised they are the only figures I have painted this year apart from 12 x dismounted ACW cavalry that I painted in an earlier post. So half way through July and it has been all terrain making apart from these vehicles. My next couple of posts will be German vehicles and then getting on with the infantry (at long last) for both sides.


Some action shots.










































I am now off to order the 'TOO FAT LARDIES' SUMMER SPECIAL 2016 which has 'The Ardennes' with Chain of Command' which tick my box on both accounts. 

42 comments:

  1. Nice as usual, hopefully your how do pdf is coming out soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid...I really like the subtle wear and tear on the AFV's

    ReplyDelete
  3. All around that looks amazing: the vehicles, figures, and the terrain! Very clever idea with the magnets too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 31°C in France...but I am so cold while looking your top notch pictures, they are so realistic and atmospheric as always! We are in the heart of the action Pat, thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I read one of your posts I instantly want to start another project - always inspirational, always superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly stunning !!! Love all your pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Astounding! Lovely work sir!
    Thanks
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Just wow...

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words can't describe the level of detail and awesomeness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing pictures as always Pat!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are super Pat - up to the usual gold standard mate. I will have a very, very good look at these again on the ipad at home tonight so I can blow up the detail and savour it all in. Great idea with the magnets and swapping over the crews etc. Some very lever people are out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great work
    Very impressive ensemble
    and incredible photo sets
    winter theme is really well managed

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's close to 40C here in Madrid but I feel the chill watching the photos! You've exceeded yourself with this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly stunning again Pat! It's been freezing most of the day here and to come home and look at these wonderful photos has not helped!! Very well done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely fantastic work Pat! You can just feel the cold. Your photos are very atmospheric and a pleasure to view! I'm really looking forward to your book!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful and atmospheric. I am fairly certain that I got frostbitten while looking at these photos. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely fantastic! /Mattias

    ReplyDelete
  18. As all the above comments say, incredible work, as to be expected from you, Pat!

    Like what I assume must be so many others, I continue to wait for the chance to pay you for your upcoming book, so I can learn exactly how you went about creating your snow and ice terrain effects and incorporate them -- albeit in a lesser manner! -- into my own terrain. Any chance it will be available by the end of this Summer...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to say yes to being available by the end of the summer but I still have the German vehicles to paint, a Volksgrenadier, Panzergrenadier and US infantry platoon plus supports and then put it all together in book form and get it published.
      I will be very vague and say late 2016.

      Delete
    2. Ah, well -- not the answer I was hoping for, but I still appreciate your timely reply! It seems Winter in 1841-42 Kabul will have to keep waiting a while longer...

      Delete
  19. What a wonderful collection for your US force! The weathering on the vehicles is top notch! The dark mottling of the drab paint, as it weathers away is very realistic!
    WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Terrific work Pat, you have got a lot of vehicles in your collection,great paint job on the crew,like the picture of the crew bailing out of the brewing Sherman.
    As always lots of photos to drull over.
    Good to see you used the magnet for vehicle crew and thanks for you kind words.
    cheers John

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work Pat! You've definitely assembled quite a battle group there. Judging from the pics you came quite close to the colors I used on the Halftrack. What did you settle on in the end? Really can't get enough of your scenic shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with black primer, PSC US WW2 Armour Army Spray, your Vallejo colour recommendations applied with a brush and then weathering using AK Interactive products.

      Delete
    2. Well, it definitely has worked out nicely I'd say.

      Delete
  22. Once again Pat, some simply breath taking work. Both the snow effects and the new vehicles really do give the fridged feel we all saw in Band of Brothers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible and amazing terrain all in one...just an outstanding table

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a splendid project! Those figures, vehicles, terrain, pictures... True pieces of art, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  25. outstanding photography mate! i love the crew bailing out

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Steve,

    Love the AWI stuff - Guildford courthouse is a battle I would love to do myself. Curious as to base sizes on your British and Americans - are they a 50mm or a 60mm frontage?

    Dave Green

    info@benchmarksecurity.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Apologies - Pat, not Steve!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the AWI collection was based using the bases you get with the Perry Miniature plastic box sets. I can't remember what size they were off hand as I don't have any with me.

      Delete
  28. Absolutely awesome terrain & miniatures! Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.