Wednesday 10 October 2018

FRENCH VOLTIGEURS


I haven't made this post a Mediterranean update for my blog even though the Napoleonic French will be making an appearance in the new book, as on this occasion I have only painted a handful of figures and I plan on doing a bigger post for the French when I have more units painted. 

A friend of mine, Lofty Warren came around to my place a couple of days ago for a game using the Too Fat Lardies skirmish rule set - Sharp Practice. As you know from previous posts that I have been painting Napoleonic British but up until now, I didn't have any French but Lofty does and he brought them along so that we could have a game.

The only thing we were lacking was a handful of leaders and a couple of units of skirmishers for the French so I had a rushed couple of days trying to get the figures painted up ready for the game.

The figures are from Alban Miniatures, more slender than Perry Miniatures but they are lovely sculpts and they will be fine alongside Perry as separate skirmish units. If you go back a few posts in this blog you will also see some 95th Rifle figures from Alban Miniatures that I painted.

I have not taken any pictures of the Sharp Practice game on this occasion as we were getting to grips with the rules which I have to say are fantastic. I did take a couple of pictures of the table prior to Lofty arriving but you will have to excuse the lack of olive groves, vineyards and all the other bits of table dressing that help set the scene.


 
In the picture below you can see the comparison with the two Perry figures on the left and the Alban figures on the right.







View from both ends of the table.


If you are new to this blog and you are interested in the first book, Setting The Scene - Winter Wargaming, then we now have extra copies in stock so just go to the top right side of this page (second box down) and click on 'Setting The Scene' if you want to buy a copy.   

35 comments:

  1. You claim the table is minus some bits, but it looks excellent already Pat! Sharp Practice is indeed a very fun rule set!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Christopher..It Looks fine already as do the volitgeurs. I´ve clicked the piccies to "ever so big" Version and the only Thing I could think to add would be...a mole hill or two :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Christopher, Sharp Practice is right up there with Chain of Command for favourite rule sets.
      Hi Paul, I don't want to encourage moles as once you get them, they are hard to get rid of.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done Pat, Iwonder if you have hard if Paul Hammond plans to recast some Albans. You did mention it in your Rifles post. I did email him with interest but as of yet no response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      When I spoke with Paul last, he had said it is not financially worth his while unless he has a certain amount of interest to recast. I will mention it to him again next time I see him.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pat.I would really like to have some British lights to paint! I just started painting a unit of Rifles, I have 3 six man units. Also have 4 units of Voltiquers. Just have to get them painted!

      Delete
  3. Another beautiful table with lovely toys Pat! :o)
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Very interested in the source of your buildings especially the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathon, the buildings come from Empress Miniatures, Warbases, Charlie Foxtrot and scratch built or customised. The church and tower are from Charlie Foxtrot.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention, there is a Grand Manner windmill and small building in the picture also.
      Pat.

      Delete
  5. Atmospheric and gorgeous as always Pat, and great looking voltigeurs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning level of detail. Absolutely first class! And you've moved out to your shed it seems :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, my son wanted the garage for a workshop so I ended up treating myself to a cabin in the garden for the hobby. Double glazing and air con, so no overheating or freezing depending on the time of the year.

      Delete
  7. Top class... as usual! So many good Sharpe Practice game lately, it's getting difficult to resist.

    CdlT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharp Practice certainly seems to be taken off and the great thing is you don't need hundreds of figures (unless you want to).
      Cheers,
      Pat.

      Delete
  8. The presentation of your games is really excellent and I love seeing the pictures. Your such a role model. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, I don't about the role model bit though, my wife thinks I spend too much time with the hobby as it is.

      Delete
  9. Lovely gaming table Pat
    cheers John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Table looks fantastic Pat! Love the Frenchmen too. Very well done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking table as always and lovely looking French!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work looking stuff Pat! All your mediterranean stuff makes me want to instantly get working on the theater myself again. Sadly all my modelling stuff is packed away in boxes already. So I'll probably have to wait a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful figures and terrain!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.