Tuesday 5 January 2021

PROXY NAPOLEONIC - WIP 1.


 

My latest project, Proxy Napoleonic is not for the purist of this period, so if your thing is having the correct flags and uniforms in the right time frame and only the correct Orders of Battle will do, then this is probably not for you.

Having said that, I will try to keep things reasonably historical but I don't want to become a slave to only using the correct figures if they are wearing the right shako or length of coat for that particular point in time. My French infantry will be dressed the same whether they are fighting  Austrians and Russians pre or Dutch and Belgians post Waterloo. 

I have been preparing the forces needed to fight Quatre Bras and the smaller engagement at Frasnes and will be using General d' Armee for the former and Sharp Practice for the latter as both rule sets lend themselves to gaming this size of engagement.

The majority of figures are plastic and I have converted many of these to keep the cost down, although the actual figures are available in metal. For example, I have converted five battalions of Brunswickers from the Perry plastic rifleman sprue with head and arm swap from the French Infantry set. Dutch/Belgian cavalry and infantry have also been converted from Perry plastics along with Nassau infantry and I have done dismounted carbine armed Polish Lancers for the action at Frasnes.

As the figure prep has all been done apart from converting some spare parts from the Perry plastic cavalry sets into casualty bases, I hope to start figure painting soon, followed by terrain making lots of walled farms and sunken roads typical of the area.

French infantry 1812 - 1815 on the left and 1807 - 1814 on the right. Shock horror, both will be at Quatre Bras, I just have to decide what particular flags to use.










               

We still have copies of all three volumes of Setting The Scene available but vol 1 and 2 are now running very low. If you are interested in any of these then contact Steve Lampon over on his site as he is doing the admin side of things with the books.

stevelampon@yahoo.co.uk

http://www.stevenlampon.co.uk/dombas/



    I wish you all a safe and happy new year for 2021.

Pat. 

37 comments:

  1. That's impressive! How many models are there in total?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, 10 battalions Prussian, 5 Brunswick, 4 Hanoverian, 5 Dutch/Belgian, 5 Nassau, 8 British, 22 French(so far), artillery, dismounted cavalry and lots and lots of cavalry.

      Delete
  2. Looking forwards to more developments.
    That is a heck of a lot of figures prepared, I tend to get twitchy if I have more than a couple of dozen in the backlog ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, likewise, I have been keenly following your Napoleonic collection develop on your blog.
      I guess we all have different ways of reaching our targets but I find having the figures prepped and based speeds things up not having to stop and get the next batch ready.

      Delete
  3. Blimey, that is an awful lot of figures to paint! However they should look superb once finished. I too am not that worried about the correct uniforms for any specific period, as long as they look broadly OK, as I'm more into the game than the figures these days. Playing in 10mm helps a lot as well as you can't see the historical faux pas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve,
      Gaming in 10mm is the way to go and I may be tempted at some point in the future but I enjoy the painting and collecting of 28mm figures.

      Delete
  4. Impressive Pat, many beautiful figures...and so much work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Pat hope you are holidays for the project ahead of you.
    cheers John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, one of the advantages of now being retired is that I have time on my hands for the hobby.

      Delete
  6. That does look rather daunting Pat, best of luck mate.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, now that all the prep and basing is done, I hope to be able to get through it at a reasonable pace.

      Delete
  7. Really amazing!
    What game rules will these figures be used with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Noodle, I will be using magnetized sabot bases so plan on using Sharpe Practice for the smaller actions and General d' Armee for the bigger games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, too fat lardies productions ;)
      So cool!
      I'm excited by your project, good luck, it's big!

      Delete
  9. Good lord Pat!! That's a hell of a lot of Napoleonic's!! Can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to large amounts of figures Jay, I think you take the biscuit.

      Delete
  10. Nice looking project(s), Pat! I have no issues with French in earlier long coats or latter (Bardin reg) coats. I also have units both earlier lozenge colors and later (post-1812) tri-colors. Some are full-dress and other is campaign greatcoats. No worries as they all are needed on the battlefield! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, good to hear and a man after my own heart.

      Delete
  11. Wow! 😳 That is a lot of figures! I’m sure the finished article will be stunning.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing army you got there! Good luck with the painting! Waiting to see the final painted result. It will be Epic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully there will be a few progress reports between now and the final painted result.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see some Napoleonics from you again Pat. And don’t worry about the purists. It’s your game - and we all know it will be spectacular in the end, as so many times before. /Mattias

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love seeing masses of Napoleonic figures! I'm like you and have lots on the go at once—my 'conversion rate' is no doubt slower though!
    All the best with this mighty project. I'll enjoy watching your progress.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  16. First off, CONGRATS on retirement, Pat! I hope it's going well. At the very least, as you say, it's providing more time for hobby activities, which sounds good to me!

    Excited to see you kicking off a new Napoleonic project. No doubt at your talented hands those series ranks of Frenchmen and their allied foes will look spectacular indeed, despite any button-counting shortcomings! I'm impressed you were able to do them all from the relatively limited selection of plastic sets, but of course you are a gifted figure-convertor as well as painter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MG, retirement and our hobby go hand in hand. It was a long time coming but now its here the days are flying past.
      Thanks for your vote of confidence, I have bitten off a big junk with this project but hopefully I can stay on course.

      Delete
  17. That's an impressive collection of figures! Im with you, I'm using 1812 plastic French dragoons for the 1809 campaign! Shock,horror at least they'll all be kosher for 1812 to 1814! I look forward to your undoubtedly rapid progress!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it....nothing works better than quantity and quality. They will keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GW, I may have to ease off with the quality a little to achieve the quantity. Yep, going to be very busy.

      Delete
  19. Near enough , is good enough in my book . Good to see your progress

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best wishes with this, it will be a lovely project and I'd wholeheartedly agree with the uniform liberties - who after all would field Austrians in shako when they could paint them in helmets and opt for the British in Belgic shako when they can use the stovepipe. Some uniform aspects are just iconic after all

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.