Thursday 8 April 2021

GENERAL UPDATE & NAP WIP 2.


 It has been a while since my last update but I have been busy with the Nap project, as well as other hobby related things. (apologies for my neglect in commenting on your blogs of late.) 

First of all, I was asked to contribute some photos to the Kvam article in the latest Wargames Soldier & Strategy magazine and was informed that my name would be credited to the pictures in the mag. As this wasn't done, if you have seen the article, then the pictures are down to me. I have attached a couple of pictures to this post.






For the Napoleonic project, so far I have painted 21 battalions of  French Infantry and have just another three battalions to paint. Once this is done I can move onto the allied infantry. 

When painting this many infantry in 28mm scale you really need to cut a few corners and make a few compromises with your painting style if you want to be able to achieve your goal in this lifetime. 

After painting the first couple of battalions and realizing just how long it takes to paint Napoleonic figures, I reviewed and experimented with each new battalion that I painted until I was able to give the impression of a reasonably painted figure whilst cutting out a lot of the fluff. 

Basically I am painting a base layer, a wash and then just a flesh and white straps highlights, plus highlight tufts on the flankers and that is it.

 If you choose the right base colours under the wash, minimize your colour palette and just wipe your finger over the wash whilst it is still wet, this will let the base colour show through as a natural highlight. This is something I do on the thigh and knee of a figure if it is wearing white trousers. 







         




I have also been experimenting with thin rubber sheet and acrylic caulk for base mats. I also tried Alan Perry's idea of using hanging basket liner as a base material to go over some of the mats. 


    Rubber mat and caulk layer on the right and additional layer of hanging basket liner on the left.

I still need to add flags and finish the bases on the figures but I just thought I would take a couple of pictures with some of the figures and mats together.




And finally an update on the books. Steve Lampon informs me that we are now sold out of volume two of SETTING THE SCENE but we still have copies of volume 1 and 3.
If you are interested in buying a copy of volume 1 or 3 or put your name back on the waiting list for volume 2 then contact Steve at  stevelampon@yahoo.co.uk



 


   

37 comments:

  1. The mats look really nice. Where did you get the rubber?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,
    A friend was having a building extension and they had some left over. But I have found a supplier but not used them yet. Rubber4Roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff! How did you get the cobbled look on the mats, looks amazing!
    Best wishes, stay safe,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy, I used the Green Stuff World rolling pin for the cobbles.

      Delete
  4. As expected Pat everything looks fantastic! I agree on cutting corners to get what you want and the only question is how much can and still be happy and your results seem to work very well. I really like those rubber matts as well.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Pat, and thanks for the tips on cutting corners, never thought of dragging wash off before but will be giving it a trial very soon.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking additions to the French collection, Pat! Love the early-war stuff too. I must say your individual basing for all of your figures is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, there is early and late stuff in there to cover all avenues. All individually based with the option of going in different size magnetized sabot bases depending on which rule set I will be using.

      Delete
  7. Cutting corners must be working bc I can’t tell the difference. 😀
    You have been busy. Best of luck with your nap project; it’s quite a big one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, It is nice to have the French infantry nearly done and looking forward to starting on the allies.

      Delete
  8. A fine approach to getting Napoleonic troops done in a reasonable time, they look fantastic too.
    The mats look ace too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, sticking with just painting French infantry rather than flitting back and fore with other arms/nations also helps to speed things up.

      Delete
  9. your figures look great. I like the weathered, in-service llok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernie, the wash helps with the weathered look.

      Delete
  10. Superb figures and love the new quick mat, which is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, will definitely be using more of the basket liner.

      Delete
  11. Making good progress painting that massive about of figures Pat also love the terrain and terrain mats, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, getting into the flow with painting figures but also nice to come back to the terrain making every so often.

      Delete
  12. A good update Pat. You books are a great source of inspiration.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  13. DANG! You've been busy! Always impressed by your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive results, I do like those figures. May I ask what wash you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug, the wash is Citadel Agrax Earthshade washed all over.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pat, I might give that a go with some of mine. It looks very convincing. All the best.

      Delete
  15. The Norway photos look ace, I've also been painting Napoleonics and trying to cut corners to complete in my lifetime!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheers Iain, life is definitely too short and so many different projects/periods to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like what I am seeing and where did you get those mats from Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything's superb here Pat, I do like the mats and the wonderful and atmospehric pictures as always...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent advice Pat . The results look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, With your huge collections, you are someone who knows all about painting large number of figures.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful terrain and beautiful French, Pat -- neither of which is any way surprising! As others have already said above, it's funny/odd you mentioning "cutting corners" on those figures, considering how good they look! I'm lucky if mine look close to that good after utilizing every painting trick up my sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MG, very kind of you to say. Don't look too closely, its all just an illusion.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.