Wednesday 21 July 2021

START OF THE ARTILLERY, PLUS MORE CAVALRY - NAP WIP 5


 

Although the bigger part of this collection is aimed towards General d'armee, the sabot basing allows me to skirmish game using Sharp Practice. As I have recently just played a couple of the Sharp Practice games it gave me the incentive to have ready some artillery and cavalry on the table and an opportunity to do a couple of test pieces before painting up the rest of the artillery. 

In the first couple of pictures, you can see a Warbases MDF engineers cart and French ammunition caisson. Horses and caisson driver are metal and also from Warbases. 



The French gun team was a mixture made up from the spares box. The gun is from the Victrix plastic artillery set. The limber is metal from Eagle Figures. Horses are metal from Warbases and the rider is from my plastic spares box, Perry Miniatures French cavalry bits and pieces.


     The French artillery gun and crew are plastic from Victrix.





 British horse artillery gun and limber are metal from Perry Miniatures. The gun and crew I had painted previously but the limber and team are recent. The Perry gun crew only comes with four figures so I added another figure and officer from Eagle Figures to make up the six needed for Sharp Practice.





The latest cavalry unit that I have finished is the 5th Belgium Light Dragoons. Don't look too closely at the uniforms and equipment as these came out of my spares box. There is a mixture of Wargames Foundry, Warlord Games and Perry Miniatures horses. The riders come from the plastic spares that I had leftover from the Perry Miniature cavalry sets.  There was a bit of mixing and matching, greenstuff added here and there, and some scraping and painting but it has given me an extra cavalry unit and didn't cost me anything.



The Belgium 5th Light Dragoons were brigaded with the Dutch 6th Hussars as the Netherlands Cavalry Division, 2nd Light Cavalry Brigade at Quatre Bras. 




  Allied cavalry so far, 5th and 6th plus a unit of Brunswick Uhlans.


  I will be starting on making more terrain next so the figure painting will have to slow down a little. Hopefully, the next post will have plenty of buildings, magnetized hills and rivers, maybe some more mats and upgraded trees. 

If you find you are having problems trying to leave a comment on this blog, that is because I have started putting a block on the comments due to the fact that I am fed up having to delete half a dozen spam comments every day.

After each new post, I will open the comments section for a few days and then shut it down until the next blog post. So if you feel the urge to comment, then don't leave it too long after my posting.

As usual, the link for buying or putting your name on the waiting list for the Setting the Scene books is stevelampon@yahoo.co.uk 

Cheers,

Pat Smith.    


42 comments:

  1. Lovely, I keep on going back to photo 2 ….. splendid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. The empty handed gun crew go well with the engineer wagon.

      Delete
  2. Lovely painting as ever Pat! 😎
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Limbers and caissons are always extra coolness points!
    The dragoons look just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. They were near the bottom of the list of things to do but for some reason have jumped the queue.

      Delete
  4. Awesome work! I just recently found your blog, and it has been a real inspiration to me as I am also building up armies and terrain for some Peninsular Sharp Practice. I put me name in for your Mediterranean book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mkee, pleased you like the blog and hopefully there will eventually be another reprint of the Mediterranean book.

      Delete
    2. If a reprint doesn't happen, would you consider releasing it as an e-book on Apple Books or something similar?

      Delete
    3. As there is a possibility I may do a 4th book at some point in the future, then I will stick with printing for now and to be honest, very unlikely that I would go down the e-book path.

      Delete
  5. As always Pat, you've done some smashing work on these Nap's. Love that you have that many spare and uniform-looking pieces to just slap together and make whole teams/units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. The Perry plastic light cavalry sets each come with enough spare parts to make about a dozen additional riders.

      Delete
  6. Superb and inspiring stuff as ever Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m following this wonderful project closely!
    I wonder what did bring you from WW2 to Napoleonics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ratmaul. WW2 is still right up there with Napoleonics, I am just trying to be disciplined with the NAPS as there is so much to do.

      Delete
  8. Really gorgeous presentation. Though I am tantalized by the mention of magnetic hills and rivers. Sounds like sorcery to me! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. No sorcery I got the idea from Geoff at Purple Lion Creations who has used laser cut templates and magnets for his road, river and hill sections.

      Delete
  9. Cracking job Pat, love the British horse artillery gun and limber...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, the Perry's have a good selection of limbers for their Napoleonics.

      Delete
  10. Lovely work Pat cavalry look particularly fine. Almost noth8ng more impressive than 28 mm Napoleonics on mass 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. It is certainly a colourful site to behold.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful work as always! I put on comments moderation which did limit the amount of Spam, but I think my lack of posting left put them off bothering anymore;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, lol. No spam so far, maybe closing the comments section for a while has done the trick.

      Delete
  12. These look superb Pat. Impressive array of troops in the background too!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks James. The troops in the background in photo one and two are what was used in my last game.
    They were lined up ready to be used for a fairly large SP game with eleven leaders on each side, with a couple of guns, five units of cavalry and plenty of infantry. Each side also had a moveable deployment point to speed things up and get troops into action a lot quicker as playing on a 6 x 10 ft table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look great Pat!! I completely understand your wanting to avoid the spams.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers Christopher, fingers crossed none so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid looking cavalry and artillery, I particularly like your bits and pieces unit as I have a number of those under way for my Austrians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, there are so many spare bits in the plastic sets that its a shame not to use them.

      Delete
  17. Excellent work on all of these as always, Pat. Nice to see the cavalry conversions too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great progress as always with a great big dose of beautiful pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking units Pat, really like how you have managed to create a free Belgian cavalry unit from the bit's box.
    Also enjoying some General d'Armee myself

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Paul, there are so many spares with the Perry plastics boxsets that it is a shame not to make use of them.
    Still a little way before I have enough for General d'Armee but Sharp Practice has been fun in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.