Friday 28 September 2012

Napoleonic British Royal Horse Artillery

My last post was horse limbers for the Zulu War. As I mentioned before, they were originally from the Napoleonic range but I had left the riders off so that they could be used for different periods with the right guns and crew. The following pictures show limbers and crew from the Foundry and Perry Range. I need to purchase a second gun and crew to complete the set.    

Thursday 20 September 2012

Limbers/Wagons/Mule Train/Painting Horses.

I was going to put these in as several different posts but they all sort of link up together so I have decided to put them all in one post.
Here is how I paint my horses. Probably not as quick as the wipe method using oils but still gets fast results with a reasonable standard. I start off with a white primer and then on this occasion I have painted in bridles and saddles using Foundry Charcoal Black 34B. You don't have to be to fussy painting this on as any mistakes get covered up when painting the horse flesh.
I have then painted in any other little bits prior to painting in the horse flesh.

 Then comes the horse flesh. On this batch of horses and mules I have used Games Workshop Scorched Brown, Foundry Bay Brown 42B, Conker Brown 54A, Chestnut 53A, Quagmire 63C. I have just painted on one thin coat.

I then give the whole figure a wash with a mix of Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver and Artist's Acrylic Oil, Raw Umber.
The figures have then been glued to some 'Warbases' long bases with enough room left for the limbers and guns. As you can see in the previous pictures, I had already glued the figures to smaller bases at the very start, as they would have been quite difficult to paint up if I had glued them all in situ on the larger base first.
The bases have then been covered with tile grout, PVA and sand, painted, flocked and then the flock dry brushed.

The first up is a Perry Miniatures mule team and wagon from their ACW range with a converted driver to use for the Zulu war.

These are Wargames Foundry(nearest) and Perry's British Napoleonic Horse Artillery Limbers with Empress Miniatures Zulu War British guns. In an earlier post that I had done on Zulu War British artillery, Michael Awdry mentioned about limbers for the guns and had put a seed in my mind, thanks Michael. Empress Miniatures don't make the limbers but I had a couple of horse limbers from my Napoleonic lead pile which I thought I could use at a push if I didn't glue the riders to the limbers and horses.
I also needed a mule train for my Zulu War Rocket Battery and again at a push I thought I could use the mule team from Perry's Carlist War range. The mules are carrying a mountain gun but I did not want to remove this as I also wanted to use them for my NWF and possibly Sudan collections. It was really just the figures that needed converting along with the ACW wagon driver. I did a few head swaps and used some green stuff to lengthen their coats and give them some epaulets.    
I have recently painted the Napoleonic crews for the limbers and guns, so I will be showing these in a future post.

Thursday 13 September 2012

ZULU WAR Characters and Extra's

The following are figures from Empress Miniatures and Redoubt Enterprises and the larger bases are from Warbases.

The figures below are converted from Perry Miniatures ACW camp set. I had done a post on these a few months ago with a couple of the figures and the rest I was going to use for my NWF project. I decided in the end to use all of them for the Zulu War as I needed a lot of figures for the large Isandlwana camp scene which I have done and you will see in a future post.

Next week will be a couple of teams of horses and limbers for the Zulu War British artillery. I will also be covering how I paint horses.   

Friday 7 September 2012

Supply Dump

I needed some ammunition dumps for my Isandlwana camp to help fill out the area and also somewhere for my ammo runners to head for from their parent units.  There will be five individual camps within the main camp and each of these will have an ammunition dump and wagon. They will be NNC, 2/24TH, RA, Mounted, 1/24th, plus HQ. 
The materials I used - balsa wood, green stuff, kitchen roll (paper towel), PVA glue, tile grout (which I find better than filler as it dries really hard and doesn't flake off or crumble) and sand.

   The red flags indicated it was ammunition and I believe the flag for artillery ammunition supply was blue and red, so I may have to re-paint one of these.